I’ve been hard at work on TheRogue’s remake, and have made some significant progress with some big help from the folks over at Roguelike Tutorials.
I once used a write-up from RogueBasin as a base for TheRogue’s first iteration back when i was in college, but this new write-up is much easier to understand and in my experience, a lot more performant and modern, as it uses Python 3.
So fair, i am working to replicate and improve the best bits of TheRogue, e.g. the simplicity and easy to understand mechanics and the bits i think should stay, like the spell scrolls and wands.
Everything else i tossed in the digital equivalent of a wastebasket, like stamina (what was i thinking) and how resistances worked (or didn’t, as i think was more correct.)
A common complaint i got with TheRogue was that it was hard to tell just what had gone on after the fact. I never got a larger message window to work properly in the old version, probably due to my choice of Python version, but thankfully i now have something i can expand on to meet my needs.
I’ve started working on a remake for a previous long-time project called TheRogue, you might’ve seen it listed on my projects page.
The old version is pretty buggy and lackluster, but i hope in future it will come to outshine the previous iteration.
I should also take the chance to fix some things, specifically how i managed armor and damage values. Come to think of it, I’m not entirely sure why i limited the amount of attacks the player can carry out before “recharging” as well.
The remake is a long time out yet, but I’ll share a little of what I’ve done so far in a future post.
I’ve long since been enamored with the idea of Pen and Paper RPGs in the vein of Cyberpunk 2020 (and Cyberpunk RED, of course), Dungeons and Dragons, and Vampire: The Masquerade and their approach to storytelling.
But at the same time, I’ve found that I’ve had to rely on paper sheets far too often, leading to some confusion when new players are in the mix, who might or might not remember to adjust certain things on their sheets during the course of sometimes rather frantic sections filled with action and stuff happening.
I once tried to make a tool to streamline things for such players, but i could never get it working just the way i wanted so i ended up shelving the project. I’ve lost the source code by now, but that’s no loss as it was very bare bones at the time.
It had a few notable features that i can recall, such as:
Auto adjusting bonuses (In the case of D&D’s attribute modifiers)
Auto Calculated Hit points and Armor Classes
Plain Text Exports
Multiple Ruleset Support
There’s a lot about it cannot recall now, but i intend to reconstruct what i can and put out a new tool eventually, perhaps it will be of benefit to someone, maybe, maybe not, but a little more variety to the tools people use never hurts.